your safe sunscreen buying guide for spring and summer
As we transition from winter to spring and into summer and the days get longer, we naturally tend to spend more time outdoors, exposing our skin to the sun’s wonderfully warm but extremely harmful rays. Finding the right sun protection becomes top priority during this change of seasons.
Keep these five things in mind as you shop for safe sunscreen this spring and summer:
- Check ingredient lists for hidden toxins. The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has approved ingredients like avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, and octocrylene for use in sunscreens, but these ingredients have been found to harm coral reefs and marine life. You’ll find them in many chemical sunscreens, but never in pure haven sun protection products.
- Look for broad spectrum sun protection. Broad spectrum means that it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. The sun’s UVA rays cause premature aging, leading to visible effects such as wrinkles, while UVB rays are the primary cause of sunburn and most skin cancers.
- Go for physical sun protection. Physical sun protection products are formulated to sit on top of skin, blocking the sun’s UVA and UVB rays, while chemical sunscreens are made to absorb those harmful rays and convert them to heat.
- Skip sunscreen sprays. Spray-on sunscreen is more difficult to apply evenly and often contains dangerous chemicals that can be inhaled or absorbed through your skin. Additionally, overspray from these products can end up being washed into our waterways, potentially causing irreparable harm.
- Choose a variety of rub-in sunscreen applications. Sunscreen lotion is best for full-body protection, but a sunscreen stick* can be better for easily forgotten areas like ears, face, and back of neck and hands. A lip balm with spf* is a must for protecting the delicate skin on lips from getting chapped and burned. Use a specially formulated face sunscreen lotion* to protect your complexion from premature aging, dark spots, and overall skin damage caused by the suns UVA and UVB rays. A face sunscreen lotion will also help protect from blue light-emitting devices like your laptop or cell phone.
Pure haven’s sun protection collection consists of a variety of physical sunscreens, made with only safe, non toxic ingredients, including non nano zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to block the sun’s harmful rays. Ask your pure haven Consultant about these sun protection products and more non toxic must haves.