eight easy insect-avoiding precautions to take for a safe and healthy spring and summer
Spring is here and temperatures are on the rise, waking us all from winter hibernation and spurring us toward outdoor adventures. Unfortunately, along with those rising temperatures come insect-borne illnesses, threatening to put a damper on our fun.
Eastern equine encephalitis (commonly called EEE or Triple E) and West Nile Disease carried by mosquitoes and Lyme disease and other illnesses transmitted by infected ticks are just a few of the hazards of the season. However, by following simple, necessary precautions, these rare illnesses can be successfully avoided.
Stay safe this spring and summer by taking the following precautions to avoid pesky, biting bugs:
- Apply non toxic insect repellent. Steer clear of DEET and permethrin-based repellents that are toxic to the human body, known to cause cancer, neurotoxicity, weakened immune system, endocrine disruption, and more.
- Schedule outdoor activities outside of the peak mosquito hours occurring from dusk to dawn.
- Drain standing water like rain gutters and unused flowerpots or kiddie pools, where mosquitoes like to lay their eggs.
- Install or repair window and door screens to ensure a tight fit that will help keep mosquitoes outside.
- Avoid walking in wooded and brushy areas or through tall grasses where biting bugs like to hang out.
- Wear long sleeves, pants, and socks, and tuck your shirt into pants and pants into socks to limit exposing your skin to biting insects.
- Wear light-colored clothing so you can easily spot ticks and other bugs hitching a ride.
- Upon returning home from any outdoor activity, examine gear, change out of your clothes and put them into the dryer on high heat to kill lingering ticks, and shower, being sure to do a tick check to ensure no ticks have already attached themselves to you.
Pure haven’s bug off spray effectively repels biting insects with the power of safe, 100% non toxic ingredients. Ask your pure haven Consultant about our bug off spray and bug off candle, perfect for safeguarding your outdoor fun from annoying bugs, and neem-o, perfect for soothing bites when they do happen, as well as other minor skin irritations.
*Pure haven bug off spray, bug off candle, and neem-o are limited time items, available April 1-September 30, 2022, or while supplies last. Ask your Consultant for details.