five facts to consider before slugging (a.k.a. why you should not even think about slugging!)
To slug or not to slug? That is the question.
Also, what is slugging anyway?
Slugging is a Korean beauty trend popularized on social media platforms like TikTok and Reddit. It involves coating your face in petroleum-based products before bed to seal in moisture. Fans of the beauty craze say it’s great for those with dry, dehydrated skin and the key to waking up with baby-soft skin.
However, the rest of us beg you to keep these dangers of petroleum-based products in mind:
- Petroleum jelly is a semisolid mixture of fatty substances that are a byproduct of the crude oil industry. Products containing petroleum jelly can contaminate the body, interfere with estrogen levels, and may contain carcinogenic substances.
- Petroleum jelly forms a physical barrier or seal on the outer layer of skin that doesn’t allow the skin to “breathe.”
- Petroleum-based products slow down skin cell turnover, which isn’t recommended in a nighttime skin care routine. If you don’t naturally shed your top layer of skin, your complexion will start to look dull.
- Petroleum-based products can disrupt skin’s self-regulation in terms of hydration, which can actually result in drier skin.
- Use of petroleum jelly can be risky with acne-prone skin, as it tends to create more congestion, irritation, oiliness, and outbreaks.
In short, petroleum jelly: ew. Who wants that on any part of their body, much less their face?
The good news for those who want the hydrated, dewy complexion associated with slugging is that, with a regular skin care routine that includes safe, non toxic moisturizing products, there’s really no need to slather your face with petroleum jelly. Ever.
For products that have a similar ultra-hydrating effect but are formulated in ways that allow skin to still breathe, shop pure haven. Try this alternative cleansing and moisture-layering method for a nighttime routine that leaves skin gorgeous and glowing:
cleanser: Always start your routine with clean skin to avoid sealing in dirt, grime, and other pollutants. Refresh cleanser with pre+probiotics is antioxidant rich, good for all skin types, and removes impurities without stripping skin of natural oils, leaving your face feeling fresh and balanced.
toner: Spritz your face with refresh toner with pre+probiotics to feed and balance while protecting, soothing, and softening skin.
moisturizer: Refresh moisturizer with pre+probiotics is the perfect lightweight, non-greasy moisturizer for all skin types. It nourishes skin with beneficial ingredients that protect against everyday stresses and help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
night serum: Made with COQ10, carrot root oil, and probiotics, refresh night serum with probiotics defends your skin microbiome, provides ultra-moisturization, and protects against the damaging effects of free radicals.
soothing serum: Calm sensitive skin with the unique combination of botanical extracts in our soothing serum. It’s loaded with antioxidant-rich ingredients to help minimize redness and inflammation.
beauty booster: Our beauty booster is enriched with hemp seed, raspberry seed, and evening primrose oils. Lightweight and fast absorbing, this antioxidant-rich formula leaves you with an unbelievably radiant, glowing complexion.
Ask your pure haven Consultant about these and more amazing skin care products to round out your daily routine.
Hills, J. Why You Should Stop Using Petroleum Jelly On Your Skin (It’s a Byproduct of the Petroleum Manufacturing Process). Healthy andNaturalWorld.com.