why and how to change up your skin care routine for fall
Fall is just around the corner and your skin is probably not too happy about it. What’s your summer-lovin’ complexion to do?
We suggest changing up your skin care routine. Coming up with a fall skin care regimen is not a trend (social media influencers, we see you!), but a necessity. After all, with the shift in seasons comes a change in temperatures, humidity, and indoor heating, all of which may affect your complexion, as it can cause skin to become dehydrated, disrupt your skin’s microbiome, and cause sensitivity and irritation.
Here’s how to help your skin adapt as summer transitions to fall:
- After cleansing, treat your complexion to a soothing spritz of toner to help replenish hydration levels and rebalance your skin’s microbiome. Avoid toner with a drying alcohol base.
- Boost hydration levels with specialized products like intensely hydrating hyaluronic acid and beauty booster layered under moisturizer to plump and moisturize skin.
- Fall is the perfect time to try adding serums to your routine to help nourish and protect skin. Brightening serum can be added to your daytime routine to help even and illuminate skin tone and energize your skin. As part of your nighttime routine, soothing serum, loaded with antioxidant-rich ingredients, will assist in minimizing redness and inflammation and reducing signs of aging.
- Incorporating additional moisturization before bedtime will help compensate for environmental changes throughout the day and retain hydration while you rest. Night serum with probiotics defends your skin’s microbiome and provides ultra-moisturization while balancing and revitalizing your complexion.
- Exfoliating 2-3 times a week during the hot, humid summer months makes sense, but as the weather changes, listen to your skin and back off if skin’s feeling overly dry. A gentle exfoliator with pre+probiotics can work to feed and defend your skin from everyday stressors and softly smooth your complexion.
- For a deep clean that pulls gunk away from pores, use a revitalizing mask made with clay and charcoal, which will help absorb excess oil while nourishing and detoxing skin. Use twice a week and, as always, listen to your skin to see how it feels so you can adjust your routine as needed.
- Facial skin isn’t the only area that suffers when the seasons change. Your lips can also be affected by the weather, becoming dry and chapped. To smooth and soften, use lip balm regularly, gently exfoliate with sugar lip scrub, and apply an overnight lip mask to repair and hydrate. If the skin on your hands becomes rough and cracked, turn to hand cream with pre+probiotics to smooth, soften, and protect. For full body moisturization, choose a rich lotion like pure haven’s sweet orange dream cream or body butter with pre+probiotics.
In addition to the above changes in your skin care routine, drinking plenty of water throughout the day and using a humidifier to add moisture to the air in your home or office will help keep skin hydrated throughout the dry fall and winter months.
Skin doesn’t like sudden transitions, so be sure to make changes to your routine one at a time and give your skin time to adjust. Connect with your pure haven Consultant for additional advice on how to customize your skin care routine to suit your specific needs.