Feeling skeptical about whether any of the many toothpastes in the dental hygiene aisle at your local stores are as safe as they claim to be? We don’t blame you.
From cavity control to whitening, fresh breath, sensitivity protection, and more, there seems to be a never-ending selection of toothpaste options for every dental hygiene concern. And with so many greedy, greenwashing manufacturers out to make a buck, there’s no doubt that some of the claims printed on their toothpaste packaging are merely empty promises hiding toxic truths.
Poor dental habits can lead to poor health, so it’s important to know how to choose the right toothpaste to keep everyone brushing at least twice daily. Here are our tips to help you pick the right toothpaste for your family:
- Just as poor dental habits can lead to poor health, using toothpaste with toxic ingredients can have long-term negative impacts on your wellbeing. Surely, avoiding toxins is on the top of your list when it comes to choosing any product for your family, especially one that goes right into your loved ones’ mouths! Chemicals are quickly absorbed by the lining of your mouth and enter your bloodstream, so if you’re not careful, your oral health products may be exposing you to countless toxins. Long story short: Choose 100% non toxic products from a manufacturer you can trust.
- There are alternatives to fluoride toothpastes. New research shows that toothpaste containing hydroxyapatite can prevent cavities as effectively as fluoride. It has a remineralization effect on teeth that can help rebuild, strengthen, and whiten teeth. Plus, it’s safe if accidentally ingested.
- Avoiding fluoride means avoiding toothpastes bearing the ADA Seal of Approval on their packaging, as fluoride is a required ingredient ADA-approved toothpaste formulas. All of Pure Haven’s toothpaste options are fluoride free.
- You’ll also want to avoid unnecessary additives like artificial sweeteners, colors, and harsh abrasives that can be rough on enamel or cause unnecessary irritation.
- Children don’t need as many abrasives on their little teeth, but sometimes different flavors in kids toothpaste may help them learn to enjoy brushing as they incorporate this healthy habit into their daily routine for life. Be sure to choose a kids toothpaste that’s naturally flavored with ingredients like organic sweet orange oil and organic vanilla bean extract rather than artificial sweeteners and flavorings.
- You may decide to buy multiple toothpaste formulas for your household depending on your family’s needs: toothpaste for the no-frills bunch, a charcoal toothpaste to help those looking for a detoxifying effect and whiter teeth, mineral toothpaste for a whiter smile, and kids toothpaste for the littles.
Ask your Pure Haven Consultant which Pure Haven toothpaste they use and why, and about their family’s other non toxic favorites. You may find that their choices align with your family’s needs as well!