What is Serum and When Do I Use It?
A Quick Guide To This Secret Weapon Essential For Every Skincare Routine
When it comes to establishing a skincare routine, many people are left wondering how to incorporate serums. What are serums? Do they replace moisturizer? Do they need to be used morning and night? How often do I apply? Well, we’re here to tell you all there is to know about serum, and how and when to use it.
It’s no secret that we’re all seeking moisture for our faces, because dry skin can lead to wrinkles. Yikes. Adding serums into your daily routine can help improve common imperfections such as dark spots or oily skin, while also making pores appear smaller and skin look smoother.
Serums are known to be powerful due to their formula, containing small molecules that deliver a high concentration of ingredients that penetrates deep into the skin. Think of it as a gentle punch of moisture for your skin.
Now, the rundown on serums (don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!):
▪ Serums can be used on all skin types, even oily skin.
▪ Serums can be used in the morning and at night. However, there are night-specific serums, like our amazing refresh night serum with carrot oil and pink grapefruit. (We’ll get to that in a minute!)
▪ Serums contain a high concentration of active ingredients that penetrates deep into the skin.
▪ Serums should be applied after cleansing and toning, but prior to moisturizer. Some users don’t even need a moisturizer because the serum alone is enough.
▪ Serums should be used in moderation; a little goes a long way. Less is more!
While there are a variety of serums for different purposes, night serums specifically help to revitalize the skin overnight — revealing a fresh, bright, radiant complexion in the morning.
Our very own refresh night serum contains COQ10 and carrot oil, which help defend against the damaging effects of free radicals, a contributor in the skin aging process. Night serum helps hydrate the skin, but can also be applied in tandem with a moisturizer for optimum results. It is important to apply the serum prior to moisturizing, as the active ingredients in night serum must be able to penetrate the skin. This secret weapon is especially worthy of obsession, because of its ability to deeply moisturize without leaving any excess product behind on the skin’s surface. Thank heavens — no one likes a “greasy” feeling face!
Complete your skincare routine with refresh moisturizer — a lightweight formula with rose flower, pomegranate, and green tea that helps nourish and hydrate your skin with every use.
So here’s how your nighttime skin regime should go: wash, tone, apply eye cream, apply serum, and moisturize.