does your sunscreen check these five boxes?
Wearing sunscreen is a must for protecting your skin from the sun’s damaging rays. But did you know the importance of choosing the right sunscreen? There are two main reasons:
- Many store-bought products are laden with harmful ingredients.
- We’re regularly advised to wear sunscreen daily and reapply often, and toxic sunscreen ingredients could create serious body burden.
That’s why, when you’re on the search for safe sun protection, it’s important to know what exactly to look for. Here are five boxes you want your sunscreen to check:
- mineral based: Mineral based sunscreens tend to cause less skin irritation and are considered safer than chemical sunscreens, which require absorption into your skin. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are natural minerals used in sunscreen that sit on the surface of the skin, deflecting the sun’s harmful rays.
- spf 30 or more: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, SPF 30 blocks 97 percent of the sun’s UVB rays (the primary cause of sunburn). No sunscreen can block 100 percent of the sun’s UVB rays.
- broad spectrum coverage: UV exposure is the primary cause of skin cancer. A broad-spectrum sunscreen is effective in protecting your skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
- water resistant: A product labeled “water resistant” must maintain its SPF protection for a minimum of 40 minutes of swimming or sweating.
- natural ingredients: Synthetic ingredients can have potentially harmful short-term and long-term effects. By opting for natural ingredients, such as plant-based essences and oils, you avoid the risk, and you help protect Mother Nature as well. Sunscreens containing potential endocrine disruptors like oxybenzone, octinoxate, and octocrylene are known to contribute to the bleaching of coral reefs and have been banned in many popular tropical destinations.
Before you head out to your local store to investigate the sunscreen products available, there’s something you should know: pure haven’s non toxic face sunscreen lotion and sunscreen check all the boxes and can be delivered directly to you!