6 Ways to Show Gratitude this Holiday Season — and Keep It Going All Year Long!
Studies show that acting on feelings of appreciation can not only make your happier, but actually boost your immune system, decrease stress, and keep you healthier.
Robert Emmons, psychology professor at UC Davis says, “Thousands of years of literature talk about the benefits of cultivating gratefulness as a virtue. Grateful people take better care of themselves and engage in more protective health behaviors like regular exercise, a healthy diet, regular physical examinations.”
But sometimes it’s hard to show your appreciation. Life gets busy and it’s easy to let thankfulness fall by the wayside. Commit to showing your appreciation and gratitude every day, even for the little things. Being consistent in showing your gratitude daily will help you develop a thankful habit.
Here are six suggestions to help you get started:
- Keep a journal of little grateful moments.
- Verbally acknowledge kind gestures from a neighbor or co-worker — it’ll make their day and boost your mood, too.
- Clean up after yourself. This small act of kindness shows your respect for your surroundings.
- Take a 24-hour break from complaining. Instead, try to find the good in sticky situations.
- Send a handwritten note or card. Taking the time to offer a physical memento shows true appreciation. If you can, add a small gift (perhaps a candle), as well.
- Offer a helping hand in your community.
Take it beyond the holidays and express your gratitude throughout the year. You’ll be rewarded with better health.
Heubeck, Elizabeth. Boost Your Health With a Dose of Gratitude. WebMD.
Jessen, Catherine. 6 Easy Ways to Show Gratitude Every Day. The Muse.