August is the most popular birth month in the United States, so ‘tis the season for baby showers! If you have a baby shower on your calendar this summer, be sure to choose safe products to gift baby — and mom!
There is a plethora of baby products available on the market. While many assume baby products are safe because they are manufactured for those who are most vulnerable and in need of protection, several baby products contain toxic ingredients that are harmful for anyone, but especially for baby. Babies’ skin is ultra-sensitive, and exposure to harsh chemicals can cause long-term damage, such as impairment to the immune, nervous, endocrine, and reproductive systems.
Check out this list of 10 toxins commonly found in baby products and others. Be sure to read labels on every product you choose and avoid using and gifting products containing these ingredients:
- Sodium lauryl sulphate and sodium laureth sulfate (sls) are used to provide lather, but have been linked with cancer, rashes, infection, vision issues, and hair loss.
- Parabens and phthalates are added to products to increase shelf life. It’s a common skin irritant and known neurotoxin and endocrine disruptor, best kept away from baby.
- Phenoxyethanol is another preservative that is also a potential allergen.
- Formaldehyde is used in products to help prevent mold growth. However, it’s a known carcinogen that can cause allergic reactions, respiratory distress, headaches, and nausea. Watch for formaldehyde-releasing ingredients like quarternium-15, diazolidinyl urea, glyoxal, and DMDM hydantoin.
- Glycols (propylene glycol, polyethylene glocol (PEG), and polypropylene glycol (PPG)) are easily absorbed by the skin and may be carcinogenic or cause skin irritation.
- Fragrance/parfum may contain an untold number of chemicals, including phthalates. It’s linked with birth defects, allergies, respiratory issues, skin irritation, eczema, and more. Fragrance free is the way to go for baby and all.
- Chemical sunscreens contain ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate, and avobenzone, which are easily absorbed into skin and can lead to skin irritation and other adverse reactions. Opt for physical sunscreen products (also called mineral sunscreens) containing non nanoparticle zinc oxide and titanium dioxide instead. Physical sunscreens sit on top of skin, deflecting the sun’s rays.
- Synthetic dyes can cause skin rashes and allergic reactions.
- Petrolatum and mineral oil are byproducts of petroleum refining and can be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), a class of toxic carcinogenic chemicals.
- Talc, found in baby powders, has been linked with ovarian cancer and respiratory issues. It’s been the subject of several lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson in recent years, with claims that its talc products caused gynecological cancers in tens of thousands of women.
Check out our full list of ingredients to avoid here.
The simplest way to shop for safe baby products is to choose a manufacturer you know and trust to provide 100% non toxic products for your entire family. Shop Pure Haven for complete peace of mind, knowing that all our products are made with the purest ingredients sourced from trusted vendors that must adhere to our strict quality standards. Our baby collection is made with only pure ingredients in extra-mild formulations that are gentle, soothing, and guaranteed safe.
Our 5-piece baby care set makes a great baby shower gift. It includes the core products for mom and baby, with no dangerous toxins:
Pure Haven products are made in small batches and delivered fresh to you. Our broad spectrum pure protect preservation technology incorporates a tailored combination of protective ingredients based on each product’s particular composition. It’s customized to each product for maximum performance, using zero harmful chemicals to preserve our products.