10 tricky acne-causing culprits
Sometimes it seems like getting a handle on acne is an ever-elusive mystery. You feel like you’re doing everything right but just can’t keep your skin from breaking out. Sometimes the acne-causing culprits are right in front of you, hiding in plain sight.
Here are 10 you’ll want to take a closer look at in your clear skin sleuthing:
- cell phone: In a previous post we talked about whether cell phones contain more bacteria than the average toilet seat and what you can do about it. (Missed it? Read now!). With a cell phone that dirty, it makes sense that you might be breaking out after putting it to your face over and over throughout the day. Be sure to clean yours regularly with surface cleaner.
- caffeine: Your daily caffeine habit could be sabotaging your skin care routine. Caffeine has been associated with stress and stress is associated with acne. Opt for caffeine-free beverages and up your water intake to avoid caffeine-induced breakouts.
- coffee: Drinking coffee with or without caffeine that’s made from poor quality beans can affect your gut microbiome, causing inflammation that will show up as inflammation in your skin. Choose organic coffee beans, which have not been associated with microbiome disruption.
- skipping toner: If you’re skipping toner, you’re missing out. This often-overlooked skin care staple helps to balance your skin, which is crucial to avoiding breakouts. Spritz toner with pre+probiotics all over face after cleansing to balance, protect, soothe, and soften your skin.
- frequently changing skin care and beauty products: Constantly swapping products looking for results can throw off your skin’s pH balance, creating an acidic environment with the potential to cause acne bacteria to flourish. Choose non toxic skin care from the start for your best chance of achieving a clear complexion. Stick with it for at least three weeks to let your skin adjust before determining whether it works for you.
- acne products: Crazy as it sounds, even your acne products can cause acne. Some of these well-intentioned products set out to dry up excess oil to clear skin but end up over drying and ruining your skin’s microbiome, causing more bacteria to get into your pores and exacerbate acne. Choose purifying charcoal mask with pre+probiotics and other clarifying ingredients to feed and balance your skin and remove impurities, but never dry out your complexion. For spot treatments, use blemish stick with probiotics, made with a unique combination of skin-nourishing ingredients to help reduce inflammation and redness, prevent breakouts, and keep skin clear.
- foundation: Heavy liquid foundations are known to cause clogged pores, acne, and other irritations. Pure haven tinted moisturizer is a lightweight, all-natural multi-tasker that’s perfect for enhancing your natural beauty without the toxic ingredients that often irritate skin.
- facial and makeup brushes: When not cleaned and cared for properly, facial cleansing brushes and makeup brushes can spread bacteria. Clean your brushes well with a non toxic cleaner. A gentle but effective shampoo, dish soap, or hand soap work equally well.
- chemical sunscreen: Instead of using a chemical sunscreen loaded with harmful ingredients like oxybenzone, octinoxate, or avobenzone, use a physical sunscreen like the one from pure haven. Physical sunscreens use physical blockers like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which sit on the skin’s surface, acting as barriers between it and the sun’s rays, protecting against UV radiation without causing blemishes.
- lack of sleep: When you don’t get enough shut eye, your immune system suffers and you can get stressed out, causing eruptions in your complexion. If you regularly have trouble getting to sleep, try diffusing calming essential oils, like pure haven tranquility or lavender, an hour or two before bedtime. Apply sleepy body oil to help relieve anxiety and settle you down at night.
For more anti-acne tips and clean skin care and beauty products that work without worry, delivering amazing results, contact your pure haven Consultant. Your Consultant has first-hand experience in helping others find the regimen that’s right for them, resulting in a healthier-, younger-looking appearance and amazing confidence.