Eczema is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that causes red, itchy patches on skin. It affects about 10% of Americans of various ages, genders, and races, although it’s most common among children, females, and Asian and Pacific Islander Americans.
There’s been an increase in cases of eczema, going from 8 in 100 American children in 1997 to 12 in 100 today. While some people have a genetic predisposition to it, others may be experiencing it due to environmental triggers like pollution and climate change. In addition to itchiness, eczema can lead to injured skin and an increase in skin infections. It can also compromise the affected person’s mental health and quality of life, as it can lead to difficulty sleeping and decreased self-esteem.
Certain things can trigger eczema symptoms, making them flare up or worsen. Knowing how to identify and avoid those triggers is important for managing the condition. Here are some steps you can take to help keep your eczema under control:
- Avoid perfumed and dyed products, choosing 100% non toxic soaps, body washes, and laundry detergents instead.
- Look for products made with soothing ingredients that have moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties, like coconut oil, sunflower oil, witch hazel, and calendula.
- Take warm, not hot, baths and showers and use gentle cleansers, shampoos, and conditioners.
- Avoid scrubbing skin when washing.
- Moisturize after bathing/showering and every time you wash your hands.
- Soothe extra-irritated spots with more concentrated moisturizers.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid irritation.
- Add nutritious foods like fatty fish, yogurt, apples, broccoli, and spinach to your diet.
- Put on cotton gloves at night if you tend to scratch in your sleep.
- Use broad-spectrum sunscreen made with non-nanoparticle zinc oxide and titanium oxide (ingredients less likely to bother skin) to protect from sunburn, which can make skin itchier than normal.
Ask your Pure Haven Consultant about our safe non toxic products for helping to soothe yours or someone you love’s eczema. Have a little one showing signs of eczema? Try our Pure Haven baby and kids collections in addition to the tips suggested above. Like all our products, each item in these collections is made with safe, effective non toxic ingredients to help soothe and nourish your child’s skin. Our wide range of products can help eliminate some of the eczema triggers you experience and help protect you and your family from the dangers of toxins lurking in everyday products sold elsewhere.
Grey, H. 19 Oct 2021. Eczema: Facts, Stats, and More (healthline.com)
Burch, K. 17 Oct 2022. Eczema Facts and Statistics: What You Need to Know (verywellhealth.com)