top 10 tips for non toxic exfoliation
Exfoliating your skin is important for achieving a healthy complexion. It helps to decongest pores and draw out impurities, improve the appearance of skin tone, create a fresh, revitalized glow, and prepare skin for accepting the benefits of other skin care products.
However, it’s important to exfoliate the right way, with the right products. Being too rough on your skin can cause damage, including microtears that can become inflamed and infected — exactly what you DON’T want! And using products with harsh, toxic ingredients can irritate and disrupt your skin barrier (your microbiome), which can lead to redness, flaking, and/or burning — another no, thank you.
To achieve the results you DO want check out these 10 tips for non toxic exfoliation:
- Use a facecloth. A gentle facecloth is a great daily exfoliator. Stay away from exfoliating cloths, mitts, and loofahs, which can be too harsh on delicate facial skin.
- Choose non toxic skin care products that are gentle and hydrating to minimize irritation.
- Apply your exfoliator with your fingers. It’s the safest way to spread product onto your skin without applying too much pressure and skin care tools like cleansing brushes can harbor bacteria and create microtears.
- Use products designed to protect your skin microbiome, which is critical to the overall health of your skin, to prevent skin conditions like eczema, acne, and rosacea.
- Steer clear of harsh physical exfoliants like plastic microbeads or coarse nutshell pieces that can be potentially traumatizing to skin, causing tears and clogged pores.
- Skip the exfoliation when skin is in distress. Damage often appears in the form of acne, eczema, and dryness. During outbreaks of these conditions, nourish skin with restorative ingredients.
- Exfoliate just once a week to start, working up to no more than twice a week to ensure you don’t strip the healthy skin or microbiome.
- Raw, tingly, or burning doesn’t mean it’s working. This is not a “no pain, no gain” situation.”
- Use a fresh towel to dry your face. This will help you avoid transferring unwanted dirt and germs from a dirty towel to your clean face.
- After exfoliation, supplement with microbiome-building ingredients. Pre+probiotics feed the good bacteria on skin and help fight against environmental stressors.