take these 6 steps for a quick winter home detox
The holidays have passed and the decorations are put away — or maybe they’re not, and that’s okay. Either way, this is a great time for a winter home detox.
Detoxing your home can make an intense difference in the energy that surrounds you. It helps clear the air you breathe, and when your home is clean, you feel happy, invigorated, and motivated. What a great way to start the New Year!
- Eliminate dirt and dust. Dust, dirt, allergens, mold, and germs that gathered in your home over the holidays can be irritating and weigh on the energy of your space. Give your home a good cleaning with non toxic cleaning products. In addition to ridding your home of dirt, dust, and more, you may find that housecleaning can be a good way to gain clarity, promote creativity, and provide self-care. (Tip: If your household cleaners contain fragrance, color, and certain preservatives, they’re not non toxic. Ask your Pure Haven Consultant about alternative products.)
- Sort through clothes closets. Haven’t worn something all year? Time to let go. Donate items to local organizations or bring them to a consignment shop. Shop resale to take advantage of reasonable prices, find unique, one-of-a-kind pieces, and keep it environmentally friendly by using what’s already in the stream of commerce rather than requiring factories to make more.
- Ditch toxic candles. Beware the harmful chemicals in many store-bought candles. They’ll affect your indoor air quality, as they produce smoke and soot and release harmful fragrance and other chemicals into your home. Better to get rid of them than to risk the consequences. (Rest assured, any Pure Haven candles you have from the holiday collection are 100% safe, made with soy wax, infused with essential oils, and featuring cotton wicks for clean burning.)
- Get rid of traditional air fresheners. The fragrance in air fresheners likely contains chemicals that can cause respiratory issues and irritate eyes and more. Instead, opt for the most basic of all air fresheners: an open window. Even opening your windows just a crack when the weather allows will help let fresh air into your home and cycle out any staleness. You can also place a few drops of essential oils on a cotton ball and set out on a small plate or use essential oils in a diffuser. Another option is to spritz a bit of master blaster or monster spray in the air and on fabrics. (Tip: Test on an inconspicuous area of fabric first.)
- Clean out toy boxes. The kids just received a bunch of new gifts from family members, friends, and Santa Claus. Time to donate what you can from their old toys to local schools and/or shelters. Make it a family activity to help teach children the importance of helping others.
- Toss expired products. Go through cabinets, cupboards, and drawers and ditch any products that are past expiration. Make a list of the items to replace. (Tip: Host a Pure Haven Gathering in January 2023 and you can earn DOUBLE Host rewards to shop for twice your non toxic favorites FREE!)
Ask your Pure Haven Consultant about more ways to detox your home, as well as your personal care routines, and how to host a Gathering to do it all for less!