sun safety tips for spring break that can help the planet
Woohoo, spring is here! Buds are forming on trees, flowers are poking out of soil, and people are heading out for spring break!
Wherever you’re spending your spring break — whether a tropical resort, a ski chalet, or your own back yard — be sure to keep the following sun safety tips in mind to protect yourself, your family and friends, and the planet:
- Choose broad-spectrum physical sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreen protects you from the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. Physical sunscreen is made with natural minerals that work together on top of your skin to reflect, scatter, and block the sun’s harmful rays. In contrast, chemical sunscreens get absorbed into your skin and help transform UV rays into heat. Chemical sunscreens can contain ingredients that are known endocrine disruptors that are harmful for you and precious marine life like endangered coral reefs.
- Always carry sunscreen. The sun shines in both warm and cold weather destinations, causing things like dry skin, uneven skin tone, wrinkles, sunspots, and skin cancer. Apply reef safe non toxic sunscreen in the morning and carry it with you to reapply as needed throughout the day. A sunscreen stick is super convenient for tossing in your backpack or purse.
- Pick a lotion or stick. Spray sunscreens often contain toxic ingredients that can be harmful when applied to your skin or when inhaled. They can also end up on the ground around you due to over spraying, and then eventually get washed into our waterways. A reef safe non toxic sunscreen stick or lotion allows for better coverage and won’t have a negative impact on your health or the environment.
- Protect your face. The sun can sap skin of moisture, cause premature aging and discoloration, and lead to skin cancer, and your face is more exposed than any other part of your body. Be sure to use a reef safe non toxic sun protection product on your face that’s spf 30 or higher.
- Don’t forget your lips. Your lips need sun protection, too! Don’t just grab your nearest lip balm. Grab the non toxic one specially formulated with at least spf 15 and apply frequently throughout the day.
Pure haven’s reef safe non toxic sun protection collection is available through August 31, 2022, or while supplies last. Contact your pure haven Consultant today to get all your non toxic sun protection necessities (and more!) for your spring break and other fun-in-the-sun plans!