so you resolved to go non toxic. what now?
You want to go non toxic? Yay! Maybe you just need a little refresher on a previous commitment to reduce toxins from your home? Good for you!
So how do you make good on your promise? First, don’t get overwhelmed with a huge change. Slow and steady changes that you can build on are the way to make your resolution a success.
- Take baby steps. You don’t have to go all in — even small changes over time can make a huge difference and decrease your body burden of certain toxins. A 2016 study conducted by the University of California at Berkeley of 100 girls aged 14 to 18 years old showed that when they stopped using personal care products with ingredients like phthalates, parabens, and triclosan, their urine concentrations of those chemicals dropped 27-45% in just three days.
- Take it seriously. This resolution can make a major difference in your life and the lives of those around you. Whether you incorporate two or all of these tips, you’ll be doing your part to make your home a pure haven for you and your family.
- Take it label by label. As you go through your day, take a look at the labels on the products you use. Compare with our ingredients to avoid list and eliminate any products that put you and your loved ones at risk of health concerns. Do the same when shopping.
- Take it room by room. There are likely to be dangerous toxins lurking in products in each room in your home (so scary!). Think about which area may be stocked with products causing the most harm. Is it your bathroom, where you could be bathing in toxic products and applying toxic lotions, deodorants, and cosmetics every day? Is it where you keep your cleaning supplies? Is it your laundry area or kitchen? Start there, removing those dangerous toxins and replacing them with safe alternatives.
- Take it drain by drain. Think about what’s washed down your bathroom and sink drains, bathtubs, and even toilets. The products you use may be having a negative impact on the environment after it leaves your home. Choose products with ingredients you can trust.
- Take it manufacturer by manufacturer. Purchasing from trusted manufacturers is crucial. Be sure the claims they make are valid and not created by the manufacturer itself. You want the truth from independent organizations or programs that can back up the claim.
- Take it store by store. Ask the managers and/or other staff at your favorite stores about how you can find the products you need with non toxic formulations. If they can’t provide a non toxic option, let them know you’ll have to shop elsewhere. Being vocal about your disappointment goes a long way toward encouraging change in the retail space.
Continue switching products one by one throughout the year to make progress toward living completely toxin free. Connect with your pure haven Consultant for ideas and suggestions to help you make this resolution one you stick to for 2022!