could your skin care products be poisoning you?
If you’re using acne treatments, skin lighteners, or antiaging treatments that remove age spots, freckles, blemishes, and wrinkles, the answer to that question may very well be yes.
The poison we’re talking about is mercury, which is known to cause serious health concerns. According to an article published on the U.S. Food & Drug Administration website, the FDA doesn’t allow the use of mercury in drugs or cosmetics (except in rare cases where there are no other safe and effective preservatives available, which is not what’s happening with products like the ones mentioned above). Mercury-containing products are likely manufactured abroad and sold illegally in the United States, promoted online, on social media, and through apps.
The FDA article shares that when you use mercury-containing products, your own health is at risk, as well as your family members’ health. They could breathe in mercury vapors or become exposed by using washcloths or towels after you that have become contaminated. Pregnant women, nursing babies, and young children are especially vulnerable. Mercury can cause harm to developing brains and nervous systems.
Signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning include:
- Changes in vision or hearing
- Memory problems
- Numbness and tingling in hands, feet, or around mouth
How to protect yourself and your family:
- Read your product labels! Don’t buy products that are unlabeled, labeled without an ingredient list, or labeled only in a language you don’t understand.
- Avoid products with the following terms on the ingredients label:
- mercurous chloride
And if you’re already using such products, stop immediately.
- If you’ve come in contact with mercury-containing products, thoroughly wash hands and other affected body parts and reach out to a health care professional or medical clinic for advice, or call the poison control center, open 24 hours a day, at 800-222-1222.
- Seal products that contain mercury in a plastic bag or leak-proof container and check with a local environmental, health, or solid waste agency for disposal instructions. Some communities have special collections or other options for disposing of hazardous household waste.
- Shop non toxic with Pure Haven. Our products are made with only 100% safe, effective ingredients, no compromises.
- Clear up products work well for blemished or blemish-prone skin.
- Brightening serum is the go-to for a refreshed, luminous complexion.
- Refresh skin care is a revolutionary product line made with pre+probiotics to help protect and nourish healthy skin.
Ask your Pure Haven Consultant about our 100% non toxic skin care products and more to help you protect your family. Our products are made with only safe, effective ingredients, no compromises, so you can feel good about sharing them with your loved ones.
Mercury Poisoning Linked to Skin Products. U.S. Food & Drug Administration.